Initially considered a safe and useful material, asbestos was used in many types of buildings for its desirable insulating properties. However, since the late 1990s, asbestos has not been used in any kind of building projects; This is due to the overwhelming medical evidence that shows that asbestos is, in fact, a deadly material. It is easily breathed into the lungs, where is cause cause scarring and lead to many types of cancer. This article looks at places where asbestos was previously used, so that you may identify its presence and take the correct action to safeguard you and your family's health.
In domestic properties, this form of asbestos was used as an insulating material; it can be found in wall cavities, in loft spaces and under floorboards. It looks almost like a blue / gray color of candy floss. This is probably the most dangerous type of asbestos that was used, as it is made entirely of pure asbestos. To remove this, you will need to hire a licensed asbestos removal specialist.
This type of asbestos was used with felt to create roofing that was able to provide insulation for the building. If you are unsure of the nature of the felt, it is always safer to assume that asbestos is present along with the felt. This type of asbestos can be removed safely by a homeowner, providing they follow local authority guidelines.
This type of asbestos is a mixture of white asbestos (chrysotile) and concrete to provide a sturdy and insulated product, suitable for many areas around the home and yard. The most common places this particular type of asbestos can be found include:
• Downpipes and gutters
• Fire surrounds and water tanks
• Wall cladding
• Cement roofs
Unfortunately, this type of asbestos is hard to distinguish from regular cement. If you do know that asbestos is present, you may remove it yourself, as long as you follow the guidelines issued by your own local authority. If you are unsure, call out a specialist for confirmation.
This type of asbestos was sprayed onto the beams and flooring of a property, and sometimes sprayed onto the underside of the roof. It is a white / gray color, and has a rough feeling surface. When the asbestos was being sprayed on, it was easy for the material to 'splash back' and as a result, may have leaked onto the surrounding area. This is a very dangerous type of asbestos, and you will need a licensed specialist to remove it for you.
Never take any risks with any type of asbestos; if unsure, assume that it is present and call in a specialist for confirmation.