Some environmental diseases come from the worst air we breathe. And it's sneaky; it's inside our own homes. Two of the most common toxic exposure components in the home are Mold (Mycotoxins) and Lead.

Mold

Mold spores can be found everywhere. It does not need sunlight, it just needs a little moisture and, just like that, mold's there. There are so many different types of mold, it is impossible to list all the symptoms of toxic mold exposure, but a few common ones are:

headaches,
breathing problems,
worsening of Asthma symptoms, Egypt
skin irritations and rashes.

All mold spores are toxic.

Mold in the home: How can I get rid of it?

You will never get rid of 100% of the toxic mold, but some simple things can help.

Have your air ducts professionally cleaned. (Go on a picnic in the backyard while this is happening, you do not want to breathe the air while the ducts are being cleaned.)

Dust, vacuum and dump the bag. Toxic mold spores can grow and cause problems while still in the vacuum cleaner bag.

Damp wipe. Sometimes, plain water and a little (OK, a lot) elbow grease is all that is needed. Other times, detergents and bleach will be needed. Since molds gradually destroy the things they live on, use harsh chemicals as a last resort.

If severe mold has found an item of value, consult a professional in mold remediation or water damage.

Lead

Do you or someone in the house have
trouble concentrating?
High blood pressure?
ADHD?
Behavior problems?

Lead toxicity from everyday objects could be the culprit. An older house could still have lead-based paint. Any house could have lead additives in the blinds. Many childrens' toys made in foreign countries may have toxic lead-based paint on them. (Luckily, there is a test you can buy to see if the paint contains lead.) Your drinking water, even if it does not come through lead pipes, may have lead in it.

Lead in the home: How can I get rid of it?

Get everyone out of the house. While wearing safety goggles, gloves and a dual filter respirator, use a commercial-grade solvent to peel off the lead-based paint. Use a putty knife to scrap off the peeling paint. (Do not sand.) Those paint chips are considered hazardous waste. Check with your local authorities on the proper way to get rid of them.

After the dust has settled (a few days), dust everything in sight. Use a commercial-grade, HEPA filter vacuum to suck up the dust left on the floor. Repaint with water-based paint.

Replace all lead pipe segments with PVC pipe.

Use either a water softener or a water filter.