Molds may be just tiny organizations but they are capable to cause mild to serious health problems. Individuals, however, vary on how much they are affected when exposed to molds. Some molds produce mycotoxins. Mycotoxins are irritants, allergens, and toxic chemical substances produced by molds. Vulnerable people can become seriously ill when exposed to these.

Allergic Reactions

There had already been a lot of researchers conducted which hold that allergies are commonly associated with molds. An allergy is a negative reaction of one's immune system to something that does not affect most other people at all. Usually, a person who has an allergy to one specific thing could also be allergic to some other things. There are several substances present in the environment we live in that could bring about allergic reactions. Examples of these are dust, food, fumes, stings, pills and even mold spores. Allergic reactions could have been in the form of having a runny nose, rashes, swollen body parts, itches, repeated sneezes or asthma. Symptoms actually vary. Allergies usually make you feel very uncomfortable but are not usually fatal. However, studies proved that anaphylaxis is a severe allergic reaction which could actually endanger lives. Even people who do not have allergies could have been adversely affected when exposed to high concentration of mycotoxins. Other examples of allergic reactions associated to molds and mildews are nasal congestion, fatigue, hay fever, throat irritation, respiratory problems, and sensitivity to light.

Mold Irritant Symptoms

One of the most common problems explained about by exposure to molds are the mold allergy symptoms. But this is not always the case. Exposure to molds could cause illnesses not accompanied by allergic reactions. Aside from irritants and toxic responses, molds could also cause infections. These infections thought about by molds can be the source of many other illnesses like pneumonia, flu and skin infections. An irritant reaction can have similar symptoms to an allergic reaction. Take note that the difference between the two is that symptoms of allergies become worse with each repeated exposure while the intensity of irritant reactions stay the same even when several repeated exposure. Mold exposure can cause irritations to both people who are allergic to it and those who are not. Cleanliness should be observed in every house because loose mold particles that settle on different items in the house could be inhaled by people or even animals that lived there.

Asthma

For sensitive people, a simple contact or inhalation of even the tiniest mold or mold spores could cause asthma attack. Anyone who is allergic to molds should avoid having contact with them. It is in fact alarming to know that when people with asthma are exposed to high amounts molds it could lead to death. Taking this in mind, homes with mold problems should be addressed as soon as possible.

Effects on the Body Systems

The mycotoxins produced by toxic molds produce harmful air in the environment which could be very hazardous to men. When this air is inhaled it damages the body's myelin. Myelin is an important substance in our bodies that covers the nerves. Toxic air depletes myelin thus exposing the nerves without protection. This would lead to the nerves' failure to function correctly. When this happens, other essential components of the body, including the immune system, the nervous system, the respiratory, the skin, and the gastrointestinal system would also malfunction. Children could be poor victims of neurological problems like this since their brains and other organs of their body are not yet fully developed.

Mycotoxins

Mycotoxins are poisonous substances produced by certain molds. They are commonly found in grain and nut crops. They may also be present in some fruits and vegetables. Mycotoxins could bring about damage by chemical reactions. They are invisible and deadly. One distinct characteristic of mycotoxins is that they continue to do damages in feeds and hay even when the molds that produce them is no longer present. There are many of them and scientists are continuously discovering new ones.

Aflatoxin

Aflatoxin is a poison caused by fungi in or on foods and feeds. A great damage brought about this poison is the cause of cancer. This poison is created by molds which are commonly present in cereal grains and legumes. Among the mycotoxins, aflatoxin is the most popular. There had been many researchers done to forget the dangers of this poison. In fact, various diseases which are related to aflatoxin have already been named. One of these is the aflatoxicosis which damage different living creatures. Many countries nowdays control exposure to aflatoxin by monitoring different traded products that may contain Aflatoxin.