Researching water filters will eventually lead you to learn two things:
1. There is a lot of confusing information out there.
2. Filtration methods can differ dramatically.
Over time I have done a fair amount of research on drinking water filters, in particular under sink filtration systems. Although there are many filtration units on the market there are two that stand out in the research. They are the Aquasana and the Crystal Quest under sink water filters.
Both are good systems and both have a great reputation. However there are some subtle differences to be aware of when considering either of these units.
Aquasana AQ-4600 – Uses a multi-stage filtration system that includes mechanical filtration, absorption and ion-exchange which is carbon filtration and sub micron filtration. It consist of two filters that is able to clean up to thirty gallons of water per hour and filter out fifty-two contaminants – all without removing the trace minerals in the water that are important for your health.
Crystal Quest Mega Double – Uses a 7 stage filtration system of activated Carbon. This unit is unique compared to other systems that use Activated Carbon because there is no need for added silver which is common in carbon only filers. This is due to the unique process of the seven stage system inhibits the growth of bacteria so well and therefore silver (which is considered a pesticide by the EPA) is not needed.
1. Both need to have their dual filters replaced every 500 gallons – 6 months to a year depending on how much water is being used.
2. Aquasana comes with a lifetime warranty when you sign up for their free 'water for life' program. Crystal Quest offers a limited one year warranty on their unit.
3. Aquasana maximum flow rate is 0.4 gallons per minute. Crystal Quest is 0.5 gallons per minute.
4. Aquasana's and Crystal Quests's minimum operating pressure is 20 psi. The maximum operating pressure for the Aquasana unit is 80 psi and for Crystal Quest it is 60 psi.
5. Dimensions for the Aquasana under sink filters are 12 “x 7” x 4. “Dimensions for the Crystal Quest under counter unit are 3.5” x 10.5 “x 3.5
When researching the different drinking filters be sure to compare all the details as the information and filtration technologies can differ dramatically. Read the reviews and make sure the filtration system is able to filter out the toxins that are found in your own municipal water.