We do not give much because of how hard our lungs work each day and at what we exposed them to.
We mostly believe that smoking is the number one cause of lung damage, but we ignore the many other substances we breath every day that can harm our lungs. We breath toxic substances in work, home, in make up and pollution.
We are going to check the top 8 substances that harm our lung health.
Asbestos: This material is used as insulation in commercial and industrial buildings, it's a fibrous substance that has been linked to mesothelioma cancer.
Some of the common symptoms are chest pain, coughing, fatigue, nausea, weight loss and fever.
Carbon Monoxide: This is a gas that moves from the lungs to the bloodstream, where it then attaches to the haemoglobin molecules. This gas is highly dangerous because it can go undetected because it has no smell or taste. Some of the symptoms caused by exposure to carbon monoxide are: nausea, chest pain, shortness of breath, even loss of consciousness and death.
Benzene: This is a highly used industrial chemical which is found in synthetic fibers, plastics, rubber lubricants, resins, pesticides, drugs and detergents. It also can be found at home in adhesives, glues, paint strippers, tobacco smoke and cleaning products.
Exposure to high levels of benzene can cause symptoms of headaches, dizziness and drowsiness.
Formaldehyde: This is a carcinogen and a chemical that can make a person sensitive to all other chemical when there is a significant exposure. It causes symptoms such as: itchy, burning eyes, headaches and is irritating. Even though it may sound like a chemical from factories it can be found in paper towels, fragrances and air fresheners.
Ammonia: It is very risky for our health, especially our skin and lungs and its more dangerous when its mixed with chlorine bleach or other cleaners. Ammonia can burn the skin, the mucous membranes, irritate and is very toxic if swallowed.
Mold and Mildew: Molds are part of our environment, can be found indoors and outdoors. It is not a problem until it start to grow indoors, because it can affect the air quality in your home. Some of the common symptoms of exposure to mold are itchy and burning eyes, coughing, lethargy, headaches and fever. People with allergies and asthma are particularly sensitive to molds.
Pesticides: Pesticides are needed to control insects, however spraying is not precise and some particles may spread to other areas where it was not intended to be. Another way that we are exposed to pesticides is by consuming non organic vegetables and fruits.
The symptoms that are may experience are memory loss, loss of coordination, impairment of the neurological system, reduced visual ability, uncontrollable behavior and mood. It is also linked to cancer, asthma, allergies, problems with reproduction and hormone disruption.
Volatile Organic compounds: These gases in the air from processes or products, it can irritate the throat, nose, eyes, cause nausea, damage the nervous system and cause difficulty to breath.
Volatile organic compounds can be found in Paint, pesticides, glue, tobacco, printers, copiers, gasoline, building products, carpet, wood products, etc.
Those are some of the environment substances that damage your lung health, be careful, avoid damaging substances and take your daily supplements to keep your immune system strong.