There are four different under sink water filters available through Crystal Quest each catering to their own clientele. They are all effective and good filtration units but the one I did the most research on was the Mega Double under sink water filter.
The reason I chose to focus on the Mega Double unit was because it appeared to offer the most for the money and is ideal for single family kitchen use for filtering drinking and cooking water.
After a fair amount of reading and research here are my findings for the Crystal Quest Mega Double under sink filter …
The Mega Double uses 7 unique stages of water filtration and uses activated Carbon as a main filtration method. This ensures that the water is very thoroughly cleaned before you use it for drinking or cooking.
The unit comes with two filters that fit neatly under most kitchen sinks. Each filter has separate functions and work through the seven stage process to make sure the water is completely clean and odor free.
The Crystal Quest Mega Double water filter removals many contaminants including:
- Organic chemical compounds such as Benzene, PCB's, volatile organic compounds (VOC's, insecticides, pesticides and industrial solvents) and toxaphene.
- Suspended particles such as silt, sediment, cyst (Giardia, Cryptosporidium), sand, rust, dirt, and other undissolved matter
- Pharmaceuticals such as Lindane
- Disinfectants & By-Products such as Chlorine and trihalomethanes (THM's)
- Lead, mercury, copper, nickel, chromium, cadmium, aluminum, and other dissolved metals
- Bad tastes and Odours
- Industrial Solvents such as MTBE
- Herbacides and Pesticides such as Endrine, 2, 4-D, Silvex (2, 4, 5 – TP)
What I like about this unit is that the whole 7 stage process not only filters the water but it also very effectively inhibits the growth of bacteria through the entire unit so well that there is no need for added silver – which is very common in carbon-only filters.
Silver is considered a pesticide by the EPA and must surely be registered with them. The fact that the Crystal Quest unit does not need to add it says a lot about the quality of their filters.
About Carbon Activated Filters
Carbon in general is very porous and can possibly provide a large surface area for contaminants to collect. Therefore many carbon-only filters have a shortened life due to the fact that they must use the major of their capacity for chlorine removal.
Watch for Carbon-only filters that use a bituminous coal carbon which is effective at removing chlorine but not at removing much else.
The Crystal Quest Mega uses high-grade coconut shell carbon which provides a far higher volume of micro-pores than coal, wood or lignite based carbon.
Consequently it is far more effective over other types of Carbon-only filters in removing trihalomethanes (THM's) and other chemicals from municipally supplied water.
10 Important Crystal Quest Under Sink Water Filter Facts
1. The filters need to be replaced each year.
2. This unit comes with a limited one year warranty.
3. It comes with 2 filtration cartridges, a chromed long reach faucet, quick connect fittings, an easy installation kit and instructions.
4. Dimensions: 3.5 “x 10.5″ x 3.5 ”
5. Weight: 6 lbs.
6. Maximum flow rate: 0.5 gallons per minute
7. Capacity of filter cartridge: 500 gallons
8. Minimum operating pressure: 20 psi (pounds per sq. In.), Maximum operating pressure: 60 psi
9. Minimum operating temperature: 40 degrees F, maximum operating temperature: 90 degrees F.
10. Crystal Quest has over 30 years of experience in the water filtration industry and their Mega Double filters have a great reputation.
Bottom line is this unit is a great product and you and you can count on having clean and great tasting water for all your needs.
Personally this unit as well as the Aquasana under counter filter is my favorite options on the market. There are other decent filters available but I believe these two give you the best quality for the best price.