Although there are many different types of water filters, one of the most popular and convenient types are the under sink water filtration units. They are ideal because they can be used to filter both your drinking and your cooking water to make sure that any water you ingest will be healthy, clean and odor free.
When researching the different types of water filtration units it is important to shop and compare in order to learn as much as you can. Below are some important facts to know about under sink water filters.
5 Important Facts
1. They are clutter-free. With an under counter unit you are able to store the filters below your kitchen sink so that there is nothing sitting on your counter getting in the way. All parts are kept tucked away and out of sight – except for the faucet which attaches to your kitchen sink. I find these types of units to be most helpful for those with smaller counter space as well as those who want a clutter free environment.
2. Installation is easy. Although you may choose to have a plumber professionally install your unit, the majority of under sink filtration units can easily be installed yourself. Most will come with detailed instructions as well as an instructional video detailing how to do it.
3. The maintenance is low. Typically these types of drinking water filters need to have replacements done every 6 months to a year depending on how much water you use and how dirty your municipal water is. Being single I replace my filters once a year. A family of four will likely need to replace them every six months.
4. They are affordable. Under sink water filters are surprisingly affordable considering how good they work and how convenient they are. Shop around and compare the prices as they can vary greatly but in general you can count on each gallon of filtered water costing only 10 cents. That is far cheaper than buying bottled water.
5. They are convenient. Besides having clean drinking water right there at the flip of the tap you also have clean cooking water easily at your disposal. Beside an expensive whole house filtration system, an under counter unit is by far the most convenient type of water filter.
When doing your research look at how much water the filtration system is able to filter within an hour as well as the cost of the replacement filters. Depending on the type of filtration method these two things will vary.
For example a high quality carbon-based filter will clean the water at a rate of 30 gallons per hour. Whereas a reverse osmosis system typically will be much slower and may only clean one gallon of water per hour.
Read the reviews and compare the important specs in order to find the right under sink water filter that will suit your needs best.